continued education program
This is a program of curriculum instruction developed by Down Syndrome Queensland and is based on current effective approaches in the education of people with Down syndrome. The program is a continuation of a students’ education after school and into adulthood, and attempts to build on the students’ learning strengths.
The philosophy of the program is that students learn holistically and as such, the program will include elements of a student’s real world experiences. Language is best learnt by using it regularly with others and by reflecting on its use. We have adopted a view that literacy is both functional (purposeful and meaningful) and social (empowering, informed, interactive and enjoyable).
The program has several aims that reflect its unique development as it provides opportunities to continue curriculum education beyond formal schooling.
These aims are to:
- Use technology for communication, enrichment, and motivation
- Support concepts of literacy and numeracy as a desirable aspect to be effective consumers
- Develop key presentation skills
- Further students’ general knowledge
- Foster conversation and social interaction skills
- Foster self-concept and life opportunities
Program Eligibility Criteria
- The ability to sustain concentration and independence required to complete tasks in a classroom environment
- The ability to independently care for self and personal hygiene
- The ability to access and function within the wider community
Program Day & Time: Fridays 9:00am – 3:00pm as per Education Queensland term dates
Location: DSQ Hub, 282 Stafford Rd, Stafford QLD 4053
Cost: Please contact us to find out about cost, your NDIS plan can be used to fund attendance.
To find out more contact [email protected] or call 3356 6655